Friday, September 10, 2010

SEPTEMBER 11, 2001..... WHERE WERE YOU?

Photo courtesy of behindblondiepark.com 

I remember just moving back to Jacksonville from NYC for the second time when I was in the car listening to the Doug Banks Morning show and hearing them interrupt the broadcast to tell us that the World Trade Center Tower #1 was just hit by a plane.  By the time I got home the 2nd Tower was hit and it looked like we were watching a movie on LIVE television.  Then my mind raced as I realized that my cousin Tiffany took the train to the World Trade Center stop and so did my friend Vanessa. I was trying to call all my other friends in New York and nobody was getting through.  It wasn't until a few hours later that day when Americans heard on the news that this was no accident, it was the work of terrorists.  My cousin Tiffany was running late to work that day.  She was on the train when the first plane hit.  My friend Vanessa was already at work.  I thought to myself "Thank God".

I remember I worked for a company called "Cantor-Fitzgerald" on a one day temp assignment.  It was a Brokerage Firm that was divided between two floors, the 45 and the 46 floor of Tower #2. I remember reading that they had no survivors.  All those people I had told "Good Morning" and "Hello" were no longer alive.  Just the fact  that I had came in contact with them and they were all gone was devastating.  I became depressed and grateful at the same time that I was not working there when this tragedy happened.
  
When I think about all the ignorant crime going on in Jacksonville and in other cites, I think about the senseless murders and shootings; how it angers me to know that people don't respect the value of human life.  Where were you?

1 comment:

  1. I was at home in Tampa. My husband was stationed out of MacDill AFB. I was 8 and a half months pregnant and on bed rest. I remember waking up from an a nap and thinking that I was watching a crazy ass movie. My phone rang and it was my husband's aunt asking if he was going to be leaving. I didnt know what she was talking about and then she asked if I was watching the news. I told her I was watching some crazy movie. But when I went to turn to the news, I realized that I was already watching it. I was in shock and couldnt move. My phone began to ring like crazy....family wanting to know if my husband would be leaving due to this nightmare.
    The only thing I could think of at that moment was that all of my family was in New York for my aunt and uncle's wedding. Their reception was being held in the Twin Towers. All I could so was call everyone's cell phone but I couldnt get through. I wanted to cry but told myself that I had to stay calm for the baby's sake. After about 30 mins of sitting and watching the towers fall, everyone in my family called me one by one. I was relieved but knew if was far from over. My husband came in to check on me and said that he may have to leave to help with the war. I didnt even blink before I told him that he had to stay with me and our then 7yo daughter. I couldnt go through the delivery of our baby without him there. I was so scared out of my mind. After that, he was very calm and said that it would be ok. He told me to calm down. At that moment, I realized that our life would never be the same again. It still sickens me to this day to see all of the crime in this world. We lived in Japan for 4 years. Everything is so carefree...children can wander the streets upon hours and no one bothers them. You can leave your doors unlocked and not have to worry about someone stealing your care or breaking into your house. I often wonder why the world cant be that carefree all over. I agree that people have forgotten that all of those people were sacrifices. They should be grateful but instead they make a mockery of it all.

    ReplyDelete